The Benefits of Fiber Cement Siding
Is your home due for a renovation? Old houses can look brand new with a few choice improvements. This is especially true when it comes to the exteriors. There’s nothing quite like coming home to a lovely house, and this dream is well within reach with the help of fiber cement siding.
Fiber Cement 101
Fiber cement is a packed mixture of cellulose fibers, sand and cement. This material is available in boards of different sizes, densities, thickness, and surface designs. They are becoming a popular alternative to wood and vinyl in residential construction. They are also in great demand for commercial buildings because of superior performance properties.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider fiber cement siding for your home:
The Benefits of Fiber Cement Siding
* Durability — Fiber cement siding is built to last not just for years, but for decades. After this type of siding has been installed, you barely have to think about it anymore. It needs almost no maintenance throughout the seasons. Unlike wood, fiber cement siding won’t rot due to moisture or succumb to termite infestations. It will also be able to withstand high impact so expect fiber cement siding to hold up well to hailstorms and even the occasional projectiles launched by hyperactive kids.
* Fire Protection — The composition of fiber cement enables it to resist combustion despite exposure to soaring temperatures. This property makes the fiber cement ideal for homes located in fire-prone areas like those in the South West regions of the states. Residents of suburbs and cities can also take advantage of this feature for their peace of mind. After all, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, particularly when the family is at stake.
* Sustainability — A lot of manufacturers use recycled and sustainable ingredients to make fiber cement. This helps reduce waste products that the construction industry is known for. Modern fiber cement is completely asbestos-free and uses non-toxic components so it doesn’t harm people or the surroundings. If you are looking for an environmentally responsible choice, this product fits the bill.
* Beauty — These boards are cut to the desired dimensions before being installed on exterior walls. Afterwards, they may be painted, or left as is to display their patterns. Some resemble bricks or wood while others have flat glossy surfaces. Whether you’re aiming for a traditional look or a modern makeover, you will find the perfect variant to turn that vision into reality.
* Cost – Fiber cement’s longevity means that replacements will seldom be needed, reducing long-term costs. As for more immediate concerns, installation tends to be cheaper compared with other forms of exterior finishing like wood or stone. Using fiber cement siding in a renovation project can be thought of as an investment. Not only will they make the house look better, creating curb appeal, but they may also substantially increase its resale value.
The Sensible Choice
Whether you aim to renovate for personal satisfaction or for resale purposes, using fiber cement siding for your home is a great way to start. It’s a definite eye-catcher that will make neighbors gaze in admiration. This material is also quite practical with the ability to protect the house from nearby fires, withstand harsh weather, and last for almost a generation. If you’re aiming for a balance of form and function, go for fiber cement siding. It’s simply the most sensible choice.
Michael Martin of MBM Construction proudly installs fiber cement siding for residential and commercial properties. In his spare time, he actively write how-to’s, product reviews on his home improvement blog.
About Building Moxie
BuildingMoxie.com is the do-it-together blog about house, home, and neighborhood (or 'hood for short), ... we feature a variety of topics written by, and for, both the diyer and the pro. ... Maybe you?
Hi & Welcome!
Find Building Moxie Also On:
- Strong Screws :: The Story with Simpson Strong-Tie Structural Screws
- The Benefits of New Roofing :: GAF Roofing’s Website Makes It Easy Like a Click of the Heels
- Raise the Roof 2: Replacing Roof Flashing at a SideWall :: More with the Porch Progress
- News from Design & Construction Week 2014 :: The Final Take OR The Bottom of the Briefcase Edition
- Dear Spring: What Took You So Long? Signed, Winter :: 6 Common Winter Caused Spring Home Repairs from DoItYourself.com
- On Writing Instructions & Reading Instructions (The Color Guy Experts Edition)
- KBIS Spotlight :: Wood-Mode Fine Custom Cabinetry
- Sub-Zero Wolf & Poggenpohl are Tops on the Las Vegas Strip || Luxury Kitchens on #BlogTourVegas
- Spotlights from ODL Door Glass & a Sense of Retro at IBS 2014
- Kobalt Cordless Outdoor Power Tools & the Great American Race – the Daytona 500