As I mentioned in the post Time to Get Your DIY On, Fall inevitably becomes a mad dance of DIY Projects. Maybe it is something about impending cold and/or the approaching holiday season, but it just is, and it seems so, year after year.
Add to that … *ahem* … Mrs. Moxie just settled on her second house to flip. A cute, potential-packed bungalow on a busy Baltimore street. And, yes, you know, something about the misses working on another house seems to fuel this year’s … fire. (If you were wondering, the wife’s first house flip went very well. Thanks.)
And anyways, as the gutters and downspouts are getting set to go on, finally, and as we are now up to about 85% of restoring all of the house’s wood siding, I had the opportunity to again work with some new products.
While each helps accomplish a specific task, I am not sure if any warrant their own Fall DIY project post. I mean – my house is, well, a little unusual. And all work, at times, seems only to fit into some bigger, ongoing … thing. Like some Perpetual State of During.
XIM Products – Peel Bond
As their site says, and while you (read: I) might be eager to hope otherwise, Peel Bond does not actually penetrate into old paint nor will it reseal or re-bond peeling paint. It however is possibly thicker than any primer you may have used. Allowing for a high build (up to 20mils per coat), it is perfect for patches of paint affected by “alligatoring” or “pitting.”
It was perfect for what I needed – a quick fix on the trim and paint behind the gutters that would soon be installed. While this product is clear straight from the container, I had the fine folks at Budekes tint it white for me.
Abatron – Wood Restoration Products
I decided to put them to use in rebuilding a rotted wood window sill. Instead of totally disassembling the window frame (as I have been known to do while restoring other wood windows), I decided instead to chisel out the bad wood and patch in a new piece of clear pine.
While the LiquidWood was not unlike other wood hardeners I have used, the WoodEpox was in fact a real delight to work with. If the thought of working with an epoxy intimidates, trust me – this one couldn’t be easier. By simply combining the two parts and kneading with gloved hands, it only takes about a minute before you have a nice “dough” to work with.
WoodEpox was surprisingly lightweight, and while it was not necessarily the easiest to spread, a wetted putty knife (supplied) took care of it. Once sanded, primed and painted, it is hard to tell, I think, that there is even a patch. A big thumbs up! (Check ’em out @ http://www.abatron.com/.)
The Paint Brush Cover
According to their site, the Paint Brush Cover
My wife pretty much being a #1b up there. And maybe unrelated, but I can tell you I have tossed a few messy paint brushes thru the years. I blame some of that on method #1b, which simply shows the tool zero respect. And all and all, the Paint Brush Cover seems to make pretty darn good sense. So I was happy to give it a go. (And I was not compensated to say that.)
And that’s more of the Fall DIY Projects I’ve been working around the house. I hope to jump back on soon with three products I have used through the years … and that I. plain. just. love. Wish me luck, happy home improving and thanks. ~jb